BainesCo Surveyors
Party Wall Roof Ridge,


The Party Wall etc Act 1996 applies throughout England and Wales. The Act covers:

If you are the owner proposing to have any of the above the works carried out you must find out whether the works are governed by the Act. If so, you must serve statutory notice (one or two months depending upon the works) on the adjoining owners and get agreement to the works, before you start.

We are a member of
Member of  Pyramus & Thisbe
The organisation for professionals specialising in party wall matters.

If your neighbours do not agree in writing, the preferred solution would be to appoint one surveyor to draw up a Party Wall Award. This surveyor should be independent and should not be involved in the design or specification of the works. If you cannot agree a surveyor, then each side should appoint their own surveyor. The Party Wall Award will set out what can and can't be done in accordance with the Act.

Party Wall, Right hand side wall of ground floor rear extension

If you are the adjoining owner and receive a party wall notice, you may agree to the proposed works if you entirely happy that there will be no damage or consequences to your property. Otherwise, if you do not agree or ignore the notice, then we suggest you agree to a single surveyor being appointed. You may appoint your own surveyor or you may agree to the building owner's surveyor.
Where a surveyor is appointed a schedule of condition of your property will be prepared (in case any damage is caused) and a Party Wall Award will be prepared.

Rear of Party Wall

The owner who is carrying out the works normally pays the fees of the surveyors. Fees for such services vary according to the nature and extent of the works. We can usually agree an hourly rate for the service. Please call us on 020 8979 6006 to discuss.

Party Wall Disputes  Party Wall Disputes    Party Wall Disputes
•Contact us: 3 Dunstall Way, East Molesey, Surrey KT8 1PD • Tel: 020 8979 6006 • Fax: 020 8979 0606